This journey across the Cevennes lasted 12 days for Stevenson and his donkey, Modestine. It took him from Monastier sur Gazeille in Haute Loire to St Jean du Gard . The journey which we offer you starts at Le Puy en Velay in the Haute Loire and ends at St Jean du Gard: 14 days of walking.
‘I have been after an adventure all my life, a pure dispassionate adventure, such
as befell early and heroic voyagers; and thus to be found by morning in a random woodside nook in Gevaudan--not knowing north from south, as strange to my surroundings as the first man upon the earth, an inland castaway--was to find a fraction of my day-dreams realised.'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
Robert Louis Stevenson
London: Chatto & Windus, 1907
Comments1* and 2** hotels or guest houses. Showers and toilets may be on landings or on the next floor in certain establishments.
Getting there*Arriving : Le Puy railway station: Gare SNCF of Le Puy en Velay
There are two train services:
*Return: Alès railway station: Gare SNCF of ALES
Buses between St Jean du Gard and la gare SNCF d'Alès :
GradientMedium; stages of 3 to 6 hours of walking each day.
From 140 to 500 m of ascent
Level of difficulty
The price includes: - Half board accommodation
- the carriage of luggage
- a guidebook (one guidebook for 1-2 people)
- the tourist tax (‘taxe de séjour')
The price DOES NOT includes : - The midday picnic
- drinks; personal spending
- the cost of getting from your home to the starting point, or getting home again after the holiday
- any taxis or shuttles taking you back to your car; any extra transport for shortening sections of the walk
- parking fees.
- transport from station to hotel or airport to hotel on arrival, or similar transport back to station or airport at the end of the holiday.
- booking fees (15 € per person)
- extra charge for postage outside France (15 € per booking)
THE WAY OF URBAIN V : FROM AUBRAC TO THE CITY OF THE POPES From Nasbinals to AvignonOn this long-distance footpath from Lozère to Vaucluse passing also through the department of Gard, you will be following in the footsteps of – and seeing some of the great works accomplished by... Booking