This journey across the Cevennes lasted 12 days for Stevenson and his donkey, Modestine. It took him from Monastier sur Gazeille in Haute Loire to St Jean du Gard . The journey which we offer you starts at Le Puy en Velay in the Haute Loire and ends at St Jean du Gard: 14 days of walking.
‘I have been after an adventure all my life, a pure dispassionate adventure, such
as befell early and heroic voyagers; and thus to be found by morning in a random woodside nook in Gevaudan--not knowing north from south, as strange to my surroundings as the first man upon the earth, an inland castaway--was to find a fraction of my day-dreams realised.'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
Robert Louis Stevenson
London: Chatto & Windus, 1907
Comments1* and 2** hotels or guest houses. Showers and toilets may be on landings or on the next floor in certain establishments.
Getting there*Arriving : Le Puy railway station: Gare SNCF of Le Puy en Velay
There are two train services:
*Return: Alès railway station: Gare SNCF of ALES
Buses between St Jean du Gard and la gare SNCF d'Alès :
GradientMedium; stages of 3 to 6 hours of walking each day.
From 140 to 500 m of ascent
Level of difficulty
The price includes: - Half board accommodation
- the carriage of luggage
- a guidebook (one guidebook for 1-2 people)
- the tourist tax (‘taxe de séjour')
The price DOES NOT includes : - The midday picnic
- drinks; personal spending
- the cost of getting from your home to the starting point, or getting home again after the holiday
- any taxis or shuttles taking you back to your car; any extra transport for shortening sections of the walk
- parking fees.
- transport from station to hotel or airport to hotel on arrival, or similar transport back to station or airport at the end of the holiday.
- booking fees (15 € per person)
- extra charge for postage outside France (15 € per booking)
THE SAINT JAMES WAY - Camino de Santiago de Compostela 2018 / Camino del Norte From Hendaye to Santiago de CompostelaWith the land on one side and the sea on the other, the Camino del Norte takes you all the way to Santiago de Compostela. Your constant companion on this is the Atlantic Ocean. You set off among... Booking