This journey across the Cevennes lasted 12 days for Stevenson and his donkey, Modestine. It took him from Monastier sur Gazeille in Haute Loire to St Jean du Gard . The journey which we offer you starts at Le Puy en Velay in the Haute Loire and ends at St Jean du Gard: 14 days of walking.
‘I have been after an adventure all my life, a pure dispassionate adventure, such
as befell early and heroic voyagers; and thus to be found by morning in a random woodside nook in Gevaudan--not knowing north from south, as strange to my surroundings as the first man upon the earth, an inland castaway--was to find a fraction of my day-dreams realised.'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
Robert Louis Stevenson
London: Chatto & Windus, 1907
CommentsWhen two hotels are full, we will have to arrange for you to pass two nights at the same establishment and organise transport for the walk. (This will not change the route of your day's walk but we may ask you to pay a supplement.)
Comments1* or 2** hotels or in guest houses. Showers and toilets may be on landings or on the next floor in certain establishments.
Getting thereArriving: Le Puy railway station: Gare SNCF
Departure: Chasseradès railway station.
Level of difficulty
The price includes: - Half board accommodation
- the carriage of luggage
- a guidebook (one guidebook for 1-2 people)
- the tourist tax (‘taxe de séjour')
The price DOES NOT includes : - The midday picnic
- drinks; personal spending
- the cost of getting from your home to the starting point, or getting home again after the holiday
- any taxis or shuttles taking you back to your car; any extra transport for shortening sections of the walk
- parking fees.
- Booking fees (15 € per person)
- Extra charge for postage outside France (15 € per booking)
ALSACE Vineyards, Villages and Medieval CastlesFrom the medieval village of Turckheim (where you can meet the last night watchman/town crier in France) to the pretty old town of Obernai, you can see a succession of villages: Niedermorschwihr,... Booking