This is a walking holiday following part of the river Loire (said to be ‘the last unspoiled river of Europe'). It takes you along forested tracks through deep rocky gorges. The views are remarkable, with chateaus and villages which nestle down close to the river. In this valley the young river Loire asserts its natural rights: only a narrow railway line trespasses on its preserves and follows the water like a shadow. The gorges are of interest to naturalists, harbouring a large number of bird species which have found security along its steep banks.
The walking is not too arduous and there are plenty of opportunities to pause on small pebbly beaches tucked away in a lacework of greenery, a perfect setting for an interlude of relaxation, soothed by the musical waters of the Loire.
CommentsFor similar reasons we ask you to make your reservation as soon as possible. We do not keep places reserved in the hotels and some of them can fill up with bookings several months in advance
Comments2** hotels and guest houses.
Getting thereTRAIN: Service from St Etienne – Le Puy en Velay
Railway station where you need to get off: Gare SNCF at Aurec (on the line between Le Puy/St Etienne),
TGV ST Etienne/Paris
Airports (Aéroports): Lyon Saint-Exupéry at 1h15m by car; Saint-Etienne Bouthéon at 45m by car.
Flights from the UK: There are flights from the UK to Lyon, and also to St Etienne (which is nearer but perhaps not as cheap). Information is available on www.skyscanner.net/ and similar sites.
Level of difficulty
The price includes: - Half board accommodation
- Provision of a guidebook (l guidebook for 1-2 people)
- luggage transfers
- any necessary transportation to hotel or bed and breakfast
- Accommodation tax.
The price DOES NOT includes : - Midday picnic/packed lunches
- Transport between your home and the holiday area
- Drinks and personal expenses
- transport between your home and the starting point of the holiday; transport between the finishing point of the holiday and your home
- transport to get back to collect your car
- any taxis taken in order to shorten parts of the walk
- booking fees (15 € per person)
- extra charge for postage outside France (15 €)
THE SAINT JAMES WAY - Camino de Santiago de Compostela 2018 / Camino Frances From Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de CompostelaThe Camino Frances begins in earnest at Puente-la-Reina. At Estella, Logroño, Santo-Domingo or Castrogeriz, you will see monuments, towers, churches, fountains and statues which venerate St... Booking